Circular to Parents – 2 July 2021
We have come to the end of what has been an extremely demanding, taxing, disrupted and stressful term as we continue to battle with the impact of Covid-19 on our community. This past week the significant spike in numbers has once again indicated the severity of the pandemic. Fortuitously, the President, in his wisdom, and the Minister of Education, have decided to close schools a week earlier than anticipated, as the country attempts to deal with the Delta variant of the virus. A huge vote of thanks and appreciation to Mr Swart and Ms Chedie for the enormous amount of work done behind the scenes to enable the majority of staff to have the vaccine. We are confident that the remaining staff will be vaccinated next week.
Term Three – Monday 19 July to Friday 1 October 2021
Please take note of the proposed dates and important information concerning Term 3 2021. Given the current Covid situation, the dates for events and sporting fixtures are all subject to change.
Mid-year Control Tests
With the closure of schools following the President’s announcement, the Control tests scheduled to be completed this term, will unfortunately have to be continued next term. The plan currently is for the Control Tests to be completed on the boys’ return to school on 19 July. If a boy is not able to write, he may in some cases be given permission to write online, and the script will be used as a guideline for his assessment. If we are not permitted to return on 19 July, we will commence with online learning, and the Control tests will be written in the first week that the boys physically return to school. A reminder that Moodle (https://moodle.mcollege.co.za/) and MS Teams are our official platforms for online communication with boys and their teachers, and provision of resources. The school Moodle is zero data rated.
Mid-year School Reports
Full mid-year reports can only be processed by the end of the second week of Term 3.
Parents’ Evenings [Alan Paton Memorial Hall from 17:15]. All boys are expected to attend with their parents.
- Wed 11 August : 6th Form Parents Evening
- Wed 18 August : 5th Form Parents Evening
- Wed 25 August : 4th Form Parents Evening
3rd Form Subject Choice
Important information regarding subject choice for 3rd Form boys has been placed in a circular which is available on the D6, and which has been emailed to parents. In addition, detailed information on subject choices is available on our website. The final date for the submission of the subject choice forms is Friday 13 August.
6th Form Art Exhibition
The date of the 6th Form Art Exhibition is determined by the Department of Education’s external moderation. Once the date has been set parents will be notified.
The 6th Form Trial Exams run from Wednesday 1 September to Thursday 23 September, subject to confirmation. During that time, the 6th Form dayboys will be required at school only when they write an exam, for sport practices and matches. 6th Form boarders have their normal routine.
At this stage there is still no clarity on activities with the Covid-19 third wave. We will advise our community once the Department of Education has outlined the way forward.
Leadership Selection process for Prefects
The Leadership selection process for Prefects starts on Thursday 29 July with the Acting Prefects Identification Camp scheduled to take place from Monday 9 August to Friday 13 August.
Tours, Leadership Camps and Hikes
The following tours and camps are proposed for the 3rd Term – subject to confirmation.
- 5th Form Work Experience, Economics and History Tours: take place from Sunday 26 September to Thursday 30 September.
- 2nd and 3rd Form Leadership Camps: take place from Sunday 26 September to Thursday 30 September.
- 4th Form Leadership Camp: take place from Monday 27 September to Thursday 30 September.
These Leadership Camps will be supervised by our staff and professional instructors.
2021 Resignations/retirement Term 2
- Lisa Akerman
- Sven Jager
- Joanne Hoyle
2021 Term two Appointments/Promotions
- English Educator (locum) Mrs Jenny Orchard
- English Educator (Part-time) Miss Nonkululeko Gumede
- Day Housemaster Forder Mr Brandon van der Walt
- Commercial Director Mr Dave Deighton
- Subject Head Business Studies Mr Omar Kajee
- Life Orientation Locum Mr Bivash Somaru
- San Sister Miss Tracey van Greunen
- Finance Clerk Ms Shanice Sewell
- Database Administrator/Donor Liaison Mrs Jenny Baptista
- Assistant to Deputy Head of Operations Mrs Liesel Campher
- Assistant Subject Head of Mathematics Mrs Leigh-Ann Moffatt
- Assistant Day Housemaster Forder Mr Graeme Stewart
- Acting Head of Dept. Human and Social Studies Mr Gonas Govindasamy
- Subject Head Phys Ed Mr Francois Maritz
- Head of Dept. Behaviour Management Mr Ralph Paterson
- Day Housemaster Strachan Mr Sheldon Bosch
- Day Housemaster Nicholson Mr Murray-John Smit
- Day Housemaster Snow Mr Jabulani Mhlongo
- Concessions Co-Ordinator Mrs Leigh-Ann Moffatt
I again appeal to all parents to pay the school fee to enable us to continue to provide an uncompromised educational service to your sons. Please make paying school fees a priority.
Thank you for your continued support of the school as we deal with changes on a daily basis. We do realise that it is extremely unsettling for both you, and more importantly, the boys and we will continue to ensure that at all times we will do what is ultimately best for them. A reminder that if your son is struggling in any area, he should see his mentor and/or housemaster in the first instance.
I wish you all continued good health and safety with your sons over the next two weeks.